Monday, September 9, 2013

C4T #1

    As part of my blogging experience, we are given an activity called C4T. C4T stands for "Comments 4 Teachers". I am assigned a specific teacher/ fellow educator and I am to read, review, and comment on that specific teacher's blog. For my teacher, I was assigned a man named John R. Sowash. Sowash runs a blog called The Electric Educator. In his About Me section, he tells us that he has been interested in technology since he was ten years old, and has been taking new opportunities to learn and broaden his horizons in the field of technology. His blog posts are primarily about new technological opportunities and how to take advantage of them. The slogan he has created for his website says, "Thoughts, ideals, and comment on educational technology." So that pretty much sums up what all his posts are about.



    For our first assignment, we were instructed to comment on our latest teacher's blog post, then write a summary about their blog post, what we read, and the comment we left. A week later we are to comment on their most recent post, if they have not posted a new one, comment on the next recent post. Then we are also to summarize that blog post and our comments.

First Comment:  My teacher, wrote about new setting from Google chrome for teachers titled, "5 Chrome Settings that will Make Teachers Smile". In this post, he lists, describes, and gives explicit instructions and tips for each of the five changes. This blog post starts off  discussing how Chrome is his browser of choice and how many other browsers adjust themselves to changes made by Chrome. He then tells us that Chrome is an amazing browser for teachers, then proceeds to tell why and list the changes and instructions. (These are a summaries of his post).

    Number one: Launch Tabs on Startup. Google can automatically load your bookmarked and favorite websites each time Chrome is opened. Just simply click to open and there are all of your favorite websites at your fingertips. The directions he gave seem painless and are very easy to comprehend: To enable features: Setting > Show Advanced Setting > On Startup. His tips for this one told us not to add too many pages, and that you can change your settings to a student, so if a student logs in, there are all their favorite tabs!

    Number two: Bookmark Sync. We as teachers love to bookmark pages, and Sowash informs you that you can now synchronize any of your bookmarks to any device, once you sign into Chrome anywhere. For this setting change his directions were: Settings > Sign into Chrome. It's that easy! 

    Number three: Tab Sync. Tab Sync is a setting that allows you to view any tab that is open, on a different device, as long as you sign into Chrome. So if you are on your laptop at work and its time to go...you can just sign into Chrome and BAM! There is your tab right there. The instructions for this setting are: Settings > Sign into Chrome. Once again....it's that simple.

    Number four: Zoom. Most people do not know about the zoom tool in Chrome, so I found this one to be most helpful. There wasn't really much to say for this one except you press ctrl and + to zoom in and - to zoom out!

    Number Five: Settings Search. Have you ever wanted to change a setting but you just don't know where to go to change it? Now Chrome has a settings search that allows you to search for anything in settings. For this one he did not give instructions you just simply activate chrome, go to settings, then settings search.

    For my comment, I expressed to Sowash that I found this MOST informing. I told him that Google Chrome is my basis for anything web related, and that everything I perform in my EDM 310 class starts out through Google Chrome. I use Drive, Blogger, Gmail, Google Search, and just about anything that Google offers I take advantage of. I also told him that I was definitely going to take advantage of these new settings. Being an education major, the use of technology is crucial, so I must be able to access Chrome 24/7 easily without restrains. These settings will help me out more on the go and I wont have to spend so much time thumbing through different websites and tools to get to where I need to be.


Second Comment: I am so very grateful that I was assigned the to comment on this blog. His blog is totally relevant to this class and it couldn't be more perfect. His second blog post was titled "Cleaning Up YouTube for your Classroom". As a fellow educator, before this post, the thought of using YouTube as an open sight in the classroom makes me scared a little bit. Vulgar and inappropriate videos can be searched with a click of a button. This is what the Electric Educator believes also, until he discovered and published a few tricks up his sleeve to make YouTube classroom friendly!

        You can take control of your classroom YouTube with just two options. Option 1: Don't use YouTube.com! If you use the domain sight, students can easily access these inappropriate videos. Instead, he tells us to embed the videos we choose onto a website, that way is it not directly leading you to YouTube. He told us that this may require a little extra work but it is worth it! After he is done explaining option one, there are a few tips along with a video. The first tip was to utilize playlist! You can create whole playlist on just about any subject you would like. They don't even have to be in the same subject. You can create a YouTube account for you classroom and create eclectic playlist. Then, you can embed that playlist onto your site as well, so instead of just placing video by video, you can embed a whole playlist. Another one of his tips explained that you can disable types of content from Google; this setting will be your best friend! All you have to do is check a box that says, "Do not show related videos."

       Option 2: YouTube for Schools. YouTube for Schools is a site just for school teachers, so when you go in, it already has the bad stuff blocked! Imagine that. It only allows students to see selected videos that have been enabled by a school network administer (basically the school runs this site); so you could have your personal YouTube, then the school's. He also gave you a link to the YouTube for Schools which was insightful. The next tip he gave was to become a curator of your own channel. Take charge and create a fun and fabulous website for your students to enjoy. Again he posted a link to some examples of teacher's YouTube channels.

       My comment expressed my gratitude for this post. I told him that this post couldn't have related more to the class that I am taking right now, which is strictly about technology and how to use it the further my education and the education of others. YouTube can be such a great learning tool. There are thousands of educational videos on practically any subject. I told him I was also scared to use YouTube and I had no idem how to use it for my classroom. The options he gave us were so insightful and I can't believe I was going to brush YouTube to the side. I told him with these new options, there was no way I was going to pass up an opportunity like this. Thanks Josh!

O

No comments:

Post a Comment