Thursday, August 22, 2013

Blog Post #1: If I had a school, it would be like....

    We've all had our moments, daydreaming about the perfect school, and oh, I still do. I let my imagination run wild through the hallways of my dream school. I see colors, shapes, art everywhere; modern cozy furniture, warm lighting, the list could go on and on. Same goes for a teacher/blogger/creativity enthusiast named Krissy Venosdale, who runs a blog titled Venspired, and has a particular post called, If I Built A School. Venosdale tells us that she wants her classroom the be the MOST EXCITING place that they have every been....even better than Disney world!

    As a fellow educator and supporter of creativity, I loved reading her engaging story and vibrantly described version of her perfect school. A couple examples of those would be, "A tree-house in the library with a big fake tree that contains lights. An art room that looks more like a studio." and, "A brightly painted bus would sit outside the school and be available for field trips all throughout the year. It would drive kids to service projects, to career explorations, to local universities to tour science labs, to factories to explore engineering, and so much more." As you can see she has also a passion for creativity, she really puts herself inside children's shoes for this post! Think about your ideal school....


                                                          
                                                     
                               Would it look something like this?


                               
                                                                       
                                                             Or this??
                                                                         


                                                                       
   Now what about the actual learning part? What would you change if you could? What sparks an even more interesting conversation is the topic that Sugatra Mitra brings to light. I watched his YouTube video and what he said was a real wake up call. He asked the question, "Where did education come from? What was its origin?" He told us that it came from the British Empire. The British wanted to educate people for a "human computer"; creating identical people, that if shipped anywhere in their Empire, was able to do the same work as well as the one replacing him! Education has become a system of creating identical people to work on a super computer that does not even exist anymore.

   Mitra poses an idea of a school that is computer based. Where there is only a computer, a question, and someone there to motivate them. They find the answers themselves, using technology, unlike being lectured by a teacher, learning and teaching themselves things that are ten years ahead of their age! Another point Mitra brought up was that there is a part of the brain that when stressed, shuts down and is not able to perform. This also happens when we see test or exams, our brain actually shuts its self down. What's wrong with this picture? Mitra's system deserved widespread recognition and support as he continues to travel and spread his technique of new, refined education.

What do you want your students to know? Content
I want my students to know about life, everything that makes it what it is. What makes things tick. What keeps things moving. What keeps people going. The biology of flower and the metamorphosis or the caterpillar. The history of our nation, the battles won and the wars lost. I want them to know different cultures, different religion. I want them to know what keeps the World turning. I want them to have a curious sense of beyond earth; the Solar System, the conditions and climates of different planets. I want them to have strong skills in English & Literate, to both understand and create fairy tales. I want them to know how to create art, without restrictions or obstacles such as judging, or bullying. I want my child to know that they are an individual, and that no one on this planet is the same.

What do you want your students to be able to do? Content
I want my students to be able to posses the skills to proceed and be successful in whatever they do. I want them to have the courage to set their mind on anything that they do. I want them to express themselves freely and genuinely.

What will be your primary way of teaching your students what you want them to know and to do? Methods
The next question was "What will be your primary way of teaching your students what you want them to know and to do?"As for as methods I haven't quite set any concrete, but I prefer hands on learning; the type of learning that engages my students and motivates them to get involved. The more you are interested in something, the easier it seems. Same goes with this concept, children want to learn when they teachers get them excited about the days activities. I want children to search for answers, rather than me just lecture them!

What tools will you use in your classroom? Tools 
I will use mainly visual, hands on tools, no worksheets of repetition in black and white, that only causes the student to become bored.  I want to use the type of tools that children can manipulate in ways that they can break it down and understand the subject. One of the ideas that are expressed in my classes at The University of South Alabama is to model, you are a role model to the students, you are one of the greatest tools.

What role will students play in your classroom? Learning Environment
The students are going to be my partners! In a quest to search for new adventures of learning and new horizons. Together we will research, teach each other, and tackle any learning obstacle we come to. Understanding students is a key, in the video I watched Mitra tells gives us the idea that standing behind a child and encouraging them and giving them the hope and confidence they need to keep going.

2 comments:

  1. "... that Sugatra Mitra bring to light." brings, not bring

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post, specifically the part about what you want your kids to know. Your ideas are great and will always keep the kids wanting to know more. They are also an excellent way to start them on a path to more knowledge then anyone could ever imagine. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete