Monday, October 28, 2013

C4K for October

Comment 1: 

             Ah yes, the "Comments 4 Kids"...October edition! Let me start you off by introducing you guys to a very interesting, motivational, inspiring, and insightful blog for my first C4K of October. This C4K was very special to me, mainly due to the fact that it is an online female AP government class consisting of seventeen and eighteen year-olds. This blog is a place for them to place their ideas, thoughts, interests, debates and just straight up information. It is nice to sometimes explore the difference of what the secondary school communities are doing compared to what I was doing when I was in school.

             This particular blog post was named "An Interactive Understanding of the Government with an Emphasis on Learning Through Modern Example". The class was discussing the recent events with Syria and were left to take a deeper look on the United States ability to wage war through assignments and by reflecting through posts on their blogs. Now, let's take a look at the last four words of the title, learning...of course; now whats next? Through. Where have we heard this word? What does it sounds related to? Aha! Project Based Learning! Now the next two words...Modern Example.

             She discusses with you the most engaging part of this topic was discussion given to the class by the teacher that prompted the students to use their imagination to put their own twist on legislation. For example, during their studies on Federalism, they were asked to come up with some of their own laws and amendments. She talked about how the assignment forced the class to take a look at issues our society was facing in this present time. Being able to see what other students across the country thought were of the up-most importance and relevancy of the topic.

            Another part I especially enjoyed was the last paragraph, where she talks about how she has never enrolled for an online, all girl, AP class. She finds herself more and more interested in Politics and worldly issues as CNN has become her homepage and a new growing interest as this subject for a major. She used words like electrified; so I'm sure project based learning has taken place more than once for her in this class.

           For the comment I first introduced myself, told her about EDM 310 and talked to her about project based learning and how much I have learned from and about project based learning since starting this class in mid August. Project based learning has been almost the basis of EDM 310 and that you learn by DOING. I told her it was awesome to see someone else learning so much and being so electrified about their class. I discussed with her that she is a perfect example of project based learning can change your view on a subject. It is a new spin on learning! I told her I was excited to see other schools put project based learning to good use and that it was working so great for her. I myself, think it's motivating to see someone or an entire class get this excited about project based learning. Which further more reinforces my positive opinions on project based learning.




Comment #2:
       
             My second comment for the October C4K was for a 7th grader named Jessica whose blog is part of a whole class. There wasn't much information on this class; all I could find was that they were in a 7th grade class. Each classmate had random topics so each students blog was pretty unique. The student's blog I commented on however was a girl named Jessica. This is all the personal information I know about Jessica. However I did learn a lot in a short amount of time from reading the post she wrote on October 7, 2013.


             I want my audience to read her post so that while I discuss it they will have an idea of where I am coming from when evaluating her paragraph. Now if you read the paragraph to the left, you will see she had many grammatical errors. She seems like she is struggling in the language department and has not have the adequate amount of learning and practicing and has not competent teachers throughout schooling. Honestly, I do not know how to go about correcting a younger students blog, if I have the power, or how it would affect them. I know this is something I could improve on.


              Next her sentences sound as if she is uninterested, and inattentive. From the looks of it she has never used a blog before so this is her first experience with literacy through technology. I just feel as if she had a list of questions to answer and she non nonchalantly listed them off. However when you reach the end of the paragraph things start to get a little bit more personal as she is describing her feelings and attitudes towards the first day of school. "The first thing I felt is that I was shaking of sacredness and I also felt butterflies in my stomach."

               My comment empathized with Jessica. I told her I too had a nervous stomach and butterflies as I entered those intimidating doors every year. I told her I was so scared and nervous about starting high school that me and my best friend went together. Sometimes school is hard when you feel like you can't find a meaning or purpose behind it, but I told her to stay strong. I shared with her one of my favorite quotes regarding education, "Education does not measure intelligence, it measures memory." I told her although sometimes this is the case, true intelligence can be achieved through discipline, learning the material and using it to your advantage. I encouraged her to outsmart the current education system and that she would be in my thoughts.


Comment #3:

               My third C4K for October was another blog on kidblog.org by Mr. So's second grade class. When I checked out the teachers personal blog, I learned they were very involved in project based learning and the blended learning cycle. The students are actively using their blogs and the class seems to be blooming. I feel like I always luck out or something on C4K because I get the best students.



              This time it was also a young girl named Jen; discussing her thoughts on the definition of a "hero" for her latest post. When I read it, I could feel emotion oozing from the paragraph. Specifically for this post, students were to describe their thoughts and opinions of a hero, not just a textbook definition. As well as their opinion of it they were to explain why, how, or what experiences brought them to believe this.


            Her definition was strong and you could tell she was being sincere and open. It has to be hard, for anyone her age, to express emotion openly and freely without being condemned. It read, "A hero to me is someone who is right beside you to save you." Followed by sentences of reasons why her mom is so special to her. In one sentence she says, "My mom is my hero because when I get hurt she takes me inside and puts bandages and when I have the flu she takes care of me." One of the last sentences reads, "It makes her a hero because when I get hurt she is always with me."

             It really does make me feel warm inside knowing whoever this young girl is, has someone so special she could trust. I began my comment with compliments. I told her I loved the post and that is was very detailed and very descriptive. I applauded her prowess of expressing emotion. I told her I could feel the emotion she poured into this post. I let her know that sometimes it's hard to express honest emotion, especially in school.

             Lastly I admired her writing skills. then I expressed my thanks and gratitude for letting me be a part of her blog and letting me read something so honest. I am so glad I get to be a part of these students learning experiences and vice versa. I am also learning so much from these students.


Comment #4: 

           Lately I have been more than impressed with the blogs I've been getting to comment on. I am so pleased to see more and more children becoming more literate through technology and blog posts such as these. For my last "Comments 4 Kids" in October, I was assigned Haylee J. from Mrs Gelde's class located in Nebraska! However, I'm not quite sure the grade to which this blog belongs. C4K is really starting to show me the use and importance of kidblog.org also. Nearly every students blog I have commented on has used kidblog.org

           Haylee's latest comment was about her favorite season. Her favorite season, as well as many others, is autumn. Off the bat I liked how she preferred the word Autumn over fall, it makes the post a little more descriptive. Although the post still would have been excellent if she hadn't used the word autumn. Haylee's post was very descriptive and interactive. Within the first two sentences she already has the audience engaged in the post by asking what their favorite season was. Then proceeds to get vivid examples of why this is her favorite season.

          She gave examples such as, "I love how all the leaves turn red, yellow, and orange." And, "I can smell the sweet pumpkin bars just came out of the oven and we eat them all up." Then she adds activities and experiences she has had with autumn that brings her to love it so much. One example is, "The activities I do are going to pumpkin patches, going on long walks and playing with friends."



       When she finished her paragraph she ended with the beginning in mind. In school you are taught to end your writing with a summary or restate your opening paragraph. Haylee did a great job of acknowledging this technique and also putting it into practice. I want my audience to be able to see her paragraph if they want to I am leaving a picture beside this paragraph if you would like to read it.

        Of course when I left a comment, I left my name, and all that good stuff. But I was more focused on being part of her audience and giving her praise for what i have seen and read today in her paragraph. I mean if I am putting it all out on the table here, this post is better than some of the posts I've seen from some students in my own EDM 310 class. It really does make me feel good when I see student excelling in what some would consider a quite difficult task of running a blog (especially educational).

         I told her that she did an excellent job. The post was very descriptive and you could feel the enthusiasm that went into writing this post. I told her it was very personable and easily relatable. I discussed with her that fall is also my favorite holiday; that the food is great, the temperature is perfect, and that I love the holidays. 

         She also added a picture which was a very nice touch. Picture somewhat put more ease on the post, so instead of just looking at words, you brain can relax to a nice picture, and it relates to your post. The post was great because she wrote it to where you could emphasis with her while reading the post so many miles away. Good job Haylee!



No comments:

Post a Comment