Friday, October 11, 2013

C4T #2

               For round two of Comments 4 Teachers I was given an elementary teacher's blog named Kathy Cassidy. Mrs. Cassidy's blog is mainly about her classroom growing and learning through technology. I absolutely adore her blog; it is so very insightful and relevant to today's advancing world. She even has an e-book about global learning in primary school.





                 Comment #1: 

                  Just like in our first Comments 4 Teachers assignment, we were to read their most recent blog post then comment on it. Mrs. Cassidy's most recent post was titled The Early Literacy Shift: New Words, New Media, and New Friends. Now going into more detail, the post was about how literacy has changed due to technology. For example Wii, iPod, and pingback - these are all words that contradict the traditional ways of spelling in English grammar.

                 She talked about how she would often have to explain why we and Wii are spelled different but sound the same, why iPod doesn't start with a capital letter, and pingback isn't even a word in the dictionary! She explained that now-a-days, there is a "New Vocabulary". But what is this "new vocabulary" and what does it consist of? New vocabulary is a list of words that did not exist twenty years ago that is shaking things up in the literate world and making grammar a bit more difficult to tackle.

                 Mrs. Cassidy had a video of her students being interviewed and asked about certain new vocabulary words; and what their definition of those words were. The first boy was about seven or eight year old answering what an embedded code was...I didn't even know this word existed when I was that young. They also answered what a pingback was, which, well...to be honest, I haven’t even heard of that word until now. For those of you who are like myself and are wondering what a pingback is, a pingback is a type of comment that is created when you link to another blog post.  Underneath the video she has a section on new ways of teaching literacy in the modern classroom using new tools, new ways to learn, new audiences, and new communication forms. 

    Now let’s move on to the comment I left. First I started off by telling her that I was a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. Then I let her know how relevant this post was in today’s word! It is so nice to here this idea being embraced by a teacher, some teacher may want to refuse the acknowledge of this "new vocabulary", especially not teach it.. I told her that often as a child, and even sometimes today, I find contradictions in grammar rules; which is even harder today for elementary students because they see so many contradicts, many more than I saw when I was a child. I talked about how I had the "I before E except after C" rule pounded in my head in elementary school yet saw words that contradicted this statement so many times, I was so confused! It would have been nice if a teacher sat down with me more even as a group with the class and discuss with is the contradictions and what to do when we see one.

    I let her know how insightful her post was and that more educators need to make the transition with her. It is important to educate your children on modern technology, because if you don’t, they will be behind the rest of the world! We need to educate our children on relevant information from the source that they can use for the future; not just traditional grammar rules. If you do not teach the children the correct way, they may get the wrong information from someone else down the road, and be stumped for the rest of their lives.

Comment #2: 

For my second comment for Mrs. Cassidy's blog was on a post titled " Miss BLC? You Can Still Watch the Key Notes." Not sure exactly what BLC is but I can tell you what the post is about. It was a video of her attending and presenting a speech the Building Learning Communities Education Conference. Which is the perfect conference for her to be speaking at because she and her 1st grade class run a class blog that is a learning community and has become widely noted and hugely successful.

 What she discussed in her speech was extremely insightful. I loved it because you got to know how this blog started out, how it became such a huge success with her students and how it gained so much recognition. She starts off with telling the audience about one of her students in her 1st grade classes; when told that for their first day of class they were going to use Skype to connect with other educators to talk about what they would want to learn and what were their goals for that year, he asked, "How is this going to help me read?" Of course he thought his only goal then was to learn how to read. Oh how little did he know of the adventures that awaited him in Mrs. Cassidy's class.

As I'm sure you have seen from the first comment, she runs a blog completely dedicated to learning through technology, that she first intended for the parents to use to keep up with the class. In her speech she talked about how she discovered that you can learn and promote literacy not only through books but through blog posts, comments, and tweets; that you can use new tools other than the white board and traditional forms of teaching like iPad's, iPod's, the SMART Board and the computer.

 She discussed how technology in the classroom is a new way of thinking, a new way of communicating; and that you are not only gaining new skills in technology but you are connecting with other people around the globe. You create a members of a community that support you and become your most treasured audience as you grow and learn. The comment I left her expressed how insightful this post was for me. I told her that as a future educator with absolutely no experience by myself in a classroom; I find myself more than often, believing that I am not going to succeed in manipulating technology successfully for my classroom. 

             I wanted to tell her how greatly this speech has affected me changed my mind, although I am afraid I cannot truly show her my appreciation for posting this speech, I still let her know that I gained more confidence as an educator through her words and her journey and major success with this blog. Lastly I talked to her brilliant her blog is and how different things would have been for me in school, if I was able to connect and grow with an audience all the way across the world. I will most definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment