Tuesday, November 12, 2013

C4K for November

Comment #1:

           Right off the bat I recognized the homepage from a C4K I wrote earlier in the semester. Pt. England School's the name! And is located in Auckland, New Zealand. I always get excited to comment on these students blog because it is awesome to connect and learn from someone half-way across the world. The student I was assigned to was a seven year student named Cheyanne. I commented on a post from October 25, 2013 titled "My First Day at Pt England School." Within this post she expressed her attitudes and feelings toward her first day of school. She said she was separated from her brother during class, when she walked into the new room she was happy and joyful but all the kids were looking at her like she did something wrong, and on top of that she started cross country that she was already having mixed feelings about; but she persevered and began to enjoy it.

         I like to see kids being so honest, especially at a young age and especially through technology such as her blog. I feel for Cheyanne because I know how people can be during elementary and secondary schooling, and I know how hard it can be when people are often taught to perceive "different" as "bad". I was also proud that she kept at something she wasn't 100% about. When I left my comment I was hoping to cheer her up a little (not that she was too sad). I of course introduced myself followed by congratulating her on her blog. It had an appealing deep blue background and you could tell by her archive that she had been working on it for a long time.

        I told her I read her post, then I empathized with her; it is always nice to know that someone understands what you are going through. I told her not to let the students bother her and that sometimes people see different as bad, but everyone is perfect regardless or their opinions. I also praised her for not giving up on cross country. I told her I ran cross country once and that she should do it only if it makes her happy. Then I wished her good luck and finished the comment. If you are interested in viewing her blog visit http://pescheyannem.blogspot.com/



Comment #2: 

               Mrs. Yolli's class blog was unlike anything I had every seen since I began EDM 310; this blog was a complete portal to learning. You could tell from the looks of the homepage that these third grades were already learning so much. Each post is filled and decorated with exciting educational information. I believe posts like these making learning so much more effortless and can even disguise learning. Mrs. Yollis and her class is located right outside Los Angeles, and like myself is a teacher truly dedicated to learning through technology. I encourage everyone who passes this sentence to check out her blog
http://yollisclassblog.blogspot.com. It will be worth it! Mrs. Yollis blog is such an inspiration and I know it can inspire you as well. 
             

          What I loved about these blog posts is they are not just housekeeping posts but informational posts, learning posts. Within these post, their are lessons and interactive videos. What is also great about posting lessons like this online, is that students can access them from virtually anywhere at anytime; in the classroom, the library, the computer lab, and even the home! They can even get their whole family involved and this is where my post comes in.

          I was assigned to comment on a particular post. The name of this post was "How to write a Compound Sentence." (I would also like to note that November for Mrs. Yollis's class is family blogging month). This post is obviously on compound sentences and what exactly makes that sentence. Well in this post Mrs. Yollis defines a compound sentence and gives a few examples. Here is a little piece of the post.

A compound sentence:
  1. Combines two shorter sentences (so has TWO subjects)
  2. Joins the two sentences with  a conjunction (and, or, but, so)
  3. The comma goes BEFORE the conjunction.
*       *       *       *       *
 Here are some sample compound sentences, and they are all about Thanksgiving!
(Hey, that's a compound sentence!) 

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November, and many families gather for a traditional feast. 

               
            Then she presents the class with a challenge she wrote, "In the comment section, tell about your plans for thanksgiving. Be sure to include at least two COMPOUND SENTENCES! This is such an effortless way to self motivate students to learn. There is no pressure behind this challenge, only to include two compound sentences. It is already sparking interest by getting your family involved, and it is available at any time! Blog posts and comments are so much more interactive than boring worksheets. Mrs. Yolli's blog is such a great reference to new coming technology inspired teachers

             I left two separate comments on this post. The first one just explaining who I was and why I was commenting. I told Mrs. Yollis and the class that what I love about this post is it is so effortlessly educational and fun. Post like this get right to point, and involving your family makes it more interesting! What I have learned from the C4K series is that blogs create an audience for the students, whether it be parents, guardians or people halfway across the world, they are motivated to learn. I let them know that I have not yet seen a blog like this are it is greatly appreciated. The second comment pertained to the challenge of writing two compound sentences, where I told the class about my holiday plans.

              Now that "Comments 4 Kids" has taken its final lap, I just want to take some time and share my feelings all of the things I have learned from "Comment 4 Kids". I have learned so much, far more than I ever imagined going into EDM 310. I had no idea that technology could change the learning experiences of children all across the world for the better. A worldly audience through the use of blogs is what I will take away the most from my experience. 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment